Friday 1 May 2015

Growing Pandan (Screwpine) Leaves And Its Medicinal Uses

Pandan or Screwpine plant is a very common aromatic plant and can be found in most garden because of its many uses. Its scientific name is Pandanus Amaryllifolius and it belongs to the Pandanaceae family.

Pandan is a tropical plant and it is easy to grow. It can be grown in most types of soil.  It is a hardy plant which does not need much care or any fertilizer.
Pandan plant has long, narrow blade-like leaves. The leaves are dark green and have tiny saw tooth along the edges of the leaves. So far I have not seen any pandan plants bear flowers. There is claimed that the flowers have aphrodisiac value. If I want to see how the pandan flowers look like, I will have to allow the plant to grow really mature and hope it will bloom.

Pandan leaves are widely used in cooking because of its aromatic properties. The leaves are usually used fresh but in places where the plants are not available, dried leaves are also used. The leaves are usually used in cooking in Asian countries. The leaves are also used to wrap meat or food to be fried or steamed.
Leaves can be cut or tied in knots as cockroaches repellent and as deodorizer in drawers, cupboards, wardrobes and in cars. Leaves are cut in small pieces and used in potpurri to freshen wardrobes, rooms or even washrooms.
Many have claimed that pandan leaves has many medicinal uses. The fresh leaves are tied in knots and:-
  • Cooked together with the food e.g. when cooking rice or sweet drinks (tong sui in Chinese).
  • Boiled in water and drink to strengthen weak nerves, to lower uric acid and as tea to reduce fever.
  • Boiled in water and bathe to treat skin problems.
  • Extracts from leaves to treat wounds, fever, relieve indigestion and flatulence.
  • Extracts from leaves can be used as food colouring and as pandan essence.
  • Pulp of leaves can be used to treat dandruff and promote healthy scalps and hair.
  • Chewing of leaves to heal gum pain, to promote healthy gums.
Propagation of Pandan Plant is through cuttings. It will be easier to grow when you choose those with new roots and plant them in soil, water them regularly and very soon it will grow well and healthy. And very soon you will be able to enjoy the aroma and fragrance of the pandan leaves and also its many uses.

Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
your name is like perfume poured out,
No wonder the maidens love you!
(Song of Songs 1:3, New International Version-NIV)

46 comments:

  1. What lovely greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pity we don't have them in Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be the weather is too cold..

      Delete
    2. any idea where I can get em in Poland? Warsaw specifically.. I've been dying to eat a dish that would require this.

      Delete
    3. Gosia is from Poland and she mentioned that they do not have this plant in Poland. I do not know whether they have imported ones in the mall or supermarkets. Actually you can omit these in the dishes, only thing is that the dish will be less fragrant without the screwpine fragrance.

      Delete
    4. Gosia is from Poland and she mentioned that they do not have this plant in Poland. I do not know whether they have imported ones in the mall or supermarkets. Actually you can omit these in the dishes, only thing is that the dish will be less fragrant without the screwpine fragrance.

      Delete
  3. I think there is lots of this around here. I love the way you tied a knot in it. I wonder if it would repel ants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can try and see if it works with ants too..

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful plant. I've never seen it where I live. I'd like to try it for it's medicinal properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to be on the look out for it.

      Delete
  5. What a blessing!


    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could find some seeds over here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a pot once but after move to Sibu, my plant died. Lazy to plant it again. When I need it, I will go take some from my mum and store in tight plastic bag in the fridge. They can last for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can last for some time in the fridge.

      Delete
  8. I put some into my cupboards to prevent lizards or cockroaches... wonder if it really works... but now no more putting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how effective it is but I sometimes put for the nice smell. I will try for my kitchen cupboards to try to repel the cockroaches and see if it works.

      Delete
  9. I remember that plant. We used to put pandan leaves with cooked rice. smells really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cooked rice will smell really good. I have done that many times.

      Delete
    2. Besides the pandan leaves, I also add a couple slices of ginger to cook my rice.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I do that also, the ginger will further enhance the fragrance for the rice.

      Delete
  10. We don't have here ... your post is very interesting ! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geraldine. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  11. Nancy, I notice that pandan is best planted on the ground. I have two in pots and they seem to have outgrown the pot and are not doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. They can space out when planted on the ground.

      Delete
  12. How tall do these grow? They almost look like spiderplants. Very interesting plant.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not tall plants, usually less then waist high.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. They are very useful, especially for cooking.

      Delete
  14. I have a pandan plant in the garden but my spouse says our pandan plant has no strong fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 types, one very fragrant and one not so fragrant.

      Delete
  15. Thanks dear, I'm following you now too! Kisses and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Nancy, your photos are gorgeous and the information is useful and so much appreciated. Thank you so much, dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always have these in my car, and always have some in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves will keep our car smelling nice. Cooking with rice makes our rice fragrant.

      Delete
  18. Hi Nancy, great posting. I love the pandan leaves fragrant scent too. If got extra pandan leaves I use it to make into roses and put in car and around the house as potpurri.

    Have a wonderful weekend, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amelia. Making into roses is a great idea, I just place them under the car seats.

      Delete
  19. Wish i have a garden, then i can plant my own pandan leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  20. My pandan plant's leaves are only aromatic about 10 minutes after harvesting. The plant itself is not aromatic. Is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is normal. The plant itself is not aromatic. After cutting, the leaves can be knotted, or cut into smaller pieces and placed in cars. It will give out some aroma. The leaves can be washed, knotted up and used for boiling sweet drinks or sweet porridge.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...