Monday 11 May 2015

Growing Impatiens Plants In My Garden

I remembered the first pot of impatiens that I had in my garden was from my sister's garden. She gave me one hanging pot of these lovely pink impatiens and from this one pot I have propagated into many pots. But now I have only one pot that is doing well and another baby plant which I have just propagated.
Impatiens' origin is from the East Africa and is from the family of Balsaminaceae. The scientific name is Impatiens Walleriana. The common names are Busy Lizzie, Balsam, Sultana, or Impatiens.
Impatiens is a beautiful evergreen and flowering plant of a wide array of colours. It comes in pink, white, purple, red, orange, etc. The pink specie is the most hardy and common. I had a few impatiens of different shades but now only the pink survived and doing well.
Impatiens grows well in rich moist soil with good drainage. It is preferably grown in partial shade. If the soil is too wet, it promotes fungal diseases. If the soil is too dry, the leaves will turn yellow and drop.
Impatiens are grown for its bright and cheerful blooms. It is usually grown in pots and hanging containers. It can also be grown on the ground as borders or bedding.
Impatiens needs to be watered regularly. It also needs to be regularly fertilized.

The flower is about 5 cm wide and has 5 petals.

The seeds are stored in a pod that comes from the centre of the flower after the petals dropped. When the pod is matured, it can easily bursts open and scatters the seeds away from the main plant. Propagation of impatiens can be done through stem cuttings or from seeds. I usually use stem cuttings for propagation.
The stems are succulent and can be easily broken or damaged. Impatiens are easily attacked by Impatiens Downy Mildew. Other common pests are spider mites, Aphids, Fungal Leaf Spot, white flies, etc.
Don't be impatient for the LORD to act!
Keep traveling steadily along His pathway and
in due season He will honour you with every blessing,
and you will see the wicked destroyed.
(Psalm 37:34, The Living Bible-TLB)

51 comments:

  1. Nice pink impatiens. I have seen this flower plant sold at the pottery shop. For a small plant in black plastic bag cost RM10-12 expensive or not?...but I didn't buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, the small plants (depending on the types of plants) in black plastic bag or small plastic pots are usually sold around RM10 to RM15. The easier to grow and common ones are around RM8 to RM10. Before GST we still can get some plants for RM5 but now it will be impossible. Now have to check out some nursery that give fair price.

      Delete
  2. When I was a child my mother grew a lot of impatiens plants. They were lovely and yours are too. I don't see them around anymore so your post took me down memory lane ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful. I am glad these blooms took you down those good old memory lane.

      Delete
  3. If I see this one's seed pod, I would need to stop my itchy fingers from going to pop it! *geram*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Stacy, you are so like me...itching to pop them ...lol!

      Delete
  4. Impatiens have always been a staple of local gardens until they become diseased. What a sad thing. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, I am now trying my best to care for my impatiens from getting diseased. Wouldn't want to lose them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Sharon, you can try...who knows you may have green fingers.

      Delete
  6. Nancy, your Impatiens are so pretty! I bought 2 pots years ago and I think I over watered them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, I want to add some more colours to my pink...lol!

      Delete
  7. Great lovely post
    I love your blog. I hope you will like mine

    http://instagram.com/ladyfur?ref=badge

    http://www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I visited your blog and its an interesting one. Thanks for visiting and comment.

      Delete
  8. I love impatiens, I hope to plant some in our yard for this summer.. Beautiful post, Nancy! Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I am also going to add more colours to my plant. Have a happy day too.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Impatient plants. This year, I've planted some Impatient seeds instead of buying the plants. I just transplanted them yesterday. I can't remember what color they are. It will be a surprise. Thanks for showing us your garden.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I love surprises too. Waiting to see your Impatiens bloom.

      Delete
  10. I love this flower. Now I know it is called impatiens. I personally would love to plant in on the ground. Like a bed of colourful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rose, it will be lovely bed of colourful impatiens.

      Delete
  11. I wonder what they did to earn that name - impatients. They are lovely flowers.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also very curious to know why...what a name!

      Delete
  12. I like that flowering plant and the bible verse that goes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so beautiful! Are they edible flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, I am not sure whether this specie is edible or not.

      Delete
  14. I did not know the name of this flower is impatiens. Sounds like impatience.The pink is so soft and sweet, really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially I thought the spelling same as impatience. I love these pretty flowers.

      Delete
  15. nice flowers we have the same in Poland

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are lots around here, but I never seem to recognize them! Maybe now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you are the best - I can't even water the plants properly))

    Tanya
    www.stripesnvibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  18. so pretty, i'd love to start a little garden!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're so beautiful with those strong colours, I love them! :) Have a lovely day, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful flowers, Nancy. I have yet to balance the watering part. Mostly, I overwater my plants because I worry that they don't have enough to drink ..haha. It's just so hard for me to keep my hands off the watering can -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some plants do not need too much water but some love water.

      Delete
  21. one of these days i must really go look see ook see your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome to see my little humble garden.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful, I have been into these lovely pink plants. I love a purple one too but I don't know what it is called.

    xx Falasha

    Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have double or filled impatiens here that look like tiny roses. They come in gorgeous colors like a deep magenta. However, they don't do very well in the summer heat and need a lot water which we don't have. But they're beautiful little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What pretty shots of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...