Tuesday 19 May 2015

Dinner At Restoran Peng Yew In Lawan Kuda, Gopeng

Last week, out of the blue we received news that our friends from Ireland are planning their trip back to Ipoh for a holiday and at the same time to visit their siblings and family. The moment the news was out, the siblings and all close friends were very excited and were all looking forward to welcome them (brother and sister). I will refer to the brother as N and the sister as S.

The whole group teamed up to organize a series of food outings and tours to entertain both N & S. Since most of the group members are working, we usually meet up in the evening to be with N & S. Whereas, those who are free in the day time, took their turn to accompany them for breakfast or lunch as and whenever possible.

On Thursday evening, eight of us in two cars drove to Lawan Kuda which is about 27 km away in search of good food. The place that we wanted to go to is currently under renovation so we opted for Restoran Peng Yew (Peng Yew means friends in Mandarin language) which has shifted from Lawan Kuda main road to the current location which is further inside the village. An appropriate place to bring our friends to Restoran Peng Yew (Friends Restaurant).
Lawan Kuda is famous for snakehead fish dishes (ikan haruan in Malay or san yu in Cantonese). As usual, we order a snakehead fish to be cooked in 2 types of dishes. The boneless meaty part to be stir-fried with young ginger slices and spring onions.
The remaining part of the fish after the meaty part has been removed was used to cook in soup - drunken wine fish soup - very, very tasty!

I can't remember the name of this dish. It is ostrich meat cooked with savoury sauce, full of flavour and very tender.

This is a type of turtle or terrapin meat cooked in clay pot with ginger, black wood fungus, ginger slices and sweet peas. I only took a spoonful to taste because I am not used to eating turtle meat. It is very flavourful.

I am not sure but after asking some of my friends I think this is the fallopian tubes or small intestines of a pig, cooked with dried chili, dried shrimp and bird's eye chili or chili padi. This too I took a spoonful to taste, not used to eating entrails of animals, but the taste is also good and flavourful. I know some of you not used to Chinese or Asian food will think this is a gross or weird food post but I think this is an exotic food post.
Green vegetable stir-fried with fermented bean curd.
This was our dinner with bro N & sis S, total 8 people. I can't remember the cost but everyone present said it was very reasonable. Not only the food was good but our time spent in fellowship with one another was also very meaningful and precious as our friends do not come back to Ipoh often. This will be the first of a series of post on the time spent with our dear friends.

I myself have gained much joy and comfort from your love,
my brother, because your kindness has so often
refreshed the hearts of God's people.
(Philemon 1:7, The Living Bible-TLB)

42 comments:

  1. I am from Asia too, but haven't tasted yet those type of recipes. But in The philippines, we fry the intestines of the pigs crunchy and very delicious. I would love to taste your cuisines too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I think if you like fried pig's intestine then I think you would love our cuisines too.

      Delete
  2. As always, food looks good. Indeed a nice gatherings. Bet lots of things to talk & share and find time is too short for that evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, the gathering is taking time to talk, share and also to fill our tummies.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried this type of cuisine, however I am very interested in other cultures particularly food so it was a most interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found this post interesting, in a way to know about our food.

      Delete
  4. Nancy, your friends must have been delighted with the delicious food! Two of the dishes are rather exotic - the turtle/terrapin and pig small intestines/fallopian tubes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all food lovers except that I am not that adventurous in my taste.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting food. It seems odd to us from the west that people eat pig fallopian tubes but my daughter tasted pig testicles in a village in Ecuador while working on her theses in Anthropology.
    She studies cultures and has travelled a lot and has seen many exotic dishes that are strange to us.

    Thanks for sharing your adventure in cuisine with friends.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I am sure in every country they have their own exotic food or dishes that seem strange to us.

      Delete
  6. how nice to get together with friends when they come back to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We dont get to see them often, every trip back is a chance to catch up with each other.

      Delete
  7. First time seeing the small intestine of a pig cooked that way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors on the outside of the building! You are a wonderful host to take them on this food tour. I think they will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I am not the host. I can't remember who was the host, they take turns to pay the bill.

      Delete
  9. Okay, I'm loving all the food on this blog. A. Lot.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. You have a fabulous day too!

      Delete
  10. All of you are such good friends to spend time accompanying your friends from Ireland. I like the haruan fish slices dish. Those fallopian tubes are called sang cheong and I think I have only tried them once only. Not found of sang cheong although I do eat intestine in Bak Kut Teh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do eat a few pieces but like you, I am not fond of the sang cheong but I do eat pig's stomach.

      Delete
  11. What a pity I can not try this food!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day you will, when you visit this part of the world.

      Delete
  12. Oh my, the dishes look delicious. I think it's great that you spent time with your visiting friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these friends do not come back often.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful outing with good friends! Those greens look so good! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the dishes that you all ordered.

    Not easy to cook the intestine. Have to clean it properly else will have nasty after taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sang cheong is easier to clean, the difficult ones are the small, big intestine and stomach. These have to be cleaned thoroughly.

      Delete
  15. Interesting cuisines. I'd like to try the first food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the fish slices, one that I like too.

      Delete
  16. Hi Nancy,

    You are always good in looking for nice places like these to dine. Very delicious dishes :D

    drool drool...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, over here especially in Ipoh, we are always talking about food.

      Delete
  17. I got hungry looking at all those lovely dishes (except for the turtle dish - I don't think I could get myself to eating turtle). Way back in the eighties I lived in Taiwan where I went to university (I have a master's degree in Chinese Studies) and tasted all kinds of wonderful dishes. It was a food lover's paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I could go over to Taiwan to taste all the wonderful food!

      Delete
  18. That was a nice gathering and dinner. I am sure your friends enjoy themselves when they are back in Ipoh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our friends coming back from overseas or outstation would enjoy all the good food and gathering.

      Delete
  19. yes, it looks exotic but I would not mind trying a bit of everything! You are lucky to have around so many not expensive places to eat out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of eateries serving good food and prices are not that expensive.

      Delete
  20. Err I believe those are intestines. Fallopian tubes cannot be so long one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, in Cantonese its called "sang cheong". Like you said, very likely its small intestine, no one can really tell me what it is in English..lol!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...