Tuesday 12 May 2015

Marketing At Jelapang Wet Market, Jelapang

My ex-colleague told me that there is a wanton noodle stall in the Jelapang wet market that is good and cheap. The only wanton noodle shop that we usually go to is not in the wet market but a short walking distance away from the market. When I inquired about the wanton noodle stall in the wet market from a friend who knows Jelapang very well, she replied that it is true but the surrounding may not be comfortable to some people. It is of the typical village and market environment.

Last week hubby wanted to eat our usual Jelapang wanton noodle for breakfast. I was not hungry and I told him that I will take a walk to the wet market on my own and told him to wait for me in the wanton noodle shop. I took the lane beside the shop and walk straight to the wet market.
This is the lane from the wanton noodle shop (Jalan Simpang) to the wet market.

On reaching the market, I saw food stalls on my left.

That's the wanton noodle stall, where the yellow T-shirt girl is standing. If my ex-colleague wanted to try the wanton noodle, I now know where it is.

On my right, a salesman promoting his product.

Vegetables stalls on my left.

Most of the small time sellers are usually elderly people. They place their items on the ground and they sit on low stool.

I bought 2 bundles of vegetable fern spikes (sayur paku pakis) from one of the elderly auntie. 1 bundle costs MYR 2 (0.55 USD). I bought 2 bundles.

It was an interesting walk because I saw many kinds of items being sold here that are not sold in the main market.

This is the bigger stall selling more items.

Fish sellers with their fresh sea products.

The fishes looked very fresh but I didn't ask the price.

I have tasted this before, the baby shark cooked in curry.

Fruit stalls selling both local and imported fruits.

Big red, juicy watermelon. One big whole watermelon costs MYR 8.00 (2.21 USD). Half a fruit costs MYR 4.00 (1.11 USD) & a quarter fruit costs MYR 2.00 (0.55 USD).

I passed by the toilet and I was really surprised. It looked very clean, neat and non-smelly at all. The walls are also pasted with lovely flower posters. Credit should be given to the cleaner and people in charge.

Next I came to this stall, making and selling Chinese crullers (yau char kwai). Boss preparing the crullers and wife frying them in big kuali.

I checked the oil to ensure the oil is not black before deciding to buy some.

I bought a "mah keok" (horse hoof) and a "hum chim peang" for my breakfast. These were made from the same flour mixture as the Chinese crullers.

Stall selling T-shirts, shorts, etc.

Then I saw a young man selling these clams at MYR 7 for a kilo. The main market was selling at MYR 20 for a kilo. I bought a kilo to cook for dinner. That ended my marketing and I walked back to Jalan Simpang to meet my hubby.

This was my simple breakfast with my home brewed black coffee.

Only the young tender shoots of these vegetable fern spikes were plucked off for cooking. The rest of the fibrous and stringy part were discarded or used as compost.

I usually used about 2 to 3 inches of the young and tender shoots.

Home cooked stir-fried vegetable fern spikes (sayur paku pakis) with dried shrimp and chili sambal belacan. I used home grown bird's eye chili from my garden for the sambal belacan.

Home cooked stir-fried clams with chopped garlic, ginger, bird's eye chilies and preserved salted bean paste.

Linking to Our World Tuesday.

Then God said, "Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant
throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food.
And I have given every green plant as food for all the wild animals,
the birds in the sky, and the small animals that scurry along the ground
- everything that has life. And this is what happened.
(Genesis 1:29-30, New Living Translation-NLT)

46 comments:

  1. Have not taken my dinner, the stir-fried clams makes me hungry, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a market! I would be probably unable to choose among all the food that is being sold there but definitely I would like to try out baby sharks if anyone would be eager to preper it for me:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too do not know how to cook baby sharks, ate it in the restaurant.

      Delete
  3. This looks like our Sunday market. Paku pakis, my favourite, I like it fried with belacan (shrimp paste). Watermelon looks juicy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayur Paku Pakis not always available. Fried with belacan is our favourite.

      Delete
  4. Now that's a real market! Love all those fresh vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more fun and enjoyable in the village's market than the main one.

      Delete
  5. What a cool market.. The veggies, fruits and fish all look so good.. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. A great day to you too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nancy, thanks for sharing the market pictures. Lately the clams and see ham are very expensive but I love the clams, never get tired of eating. LOL Both your dishes look delicious and inviting. So far I only cook the fern once.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amelia. Over here the prices of everything has increased.

      Delete
  7. a very busy market with lots of good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fun to spend the morning walking and looking at all the things on display and on sale. Sometimes can get some good buy.

      Delete
  8. It has been a long time since I last saw a market like this. I like to eat paku too, very nice. This is one of the very few posts where you show us your cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, nowadays I seldom cook and even if I do cook, usually its a one dish simple dinner.

      Delete
  9. I find the fern very interesting. Yesterday I picked fiddleheads by the river bank. Fiddleheads are furled fronds of young ferns. They are picked before the fern unfurls and are cleaned and cooked in boiling water for a few minutes and the water turns brown because there is a lot of iron in the fiddleheads. Then the pot is drained and fresh water is added with a bit of salt and boiled till tender. Very good with fresh salmon.
    I'm learning something new everyday. I always steamed clams and didn't know you could stir fry them.
    It's it called wet market because they have no shelter from the rain?

    Have a great day. Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fern is also from the river side. It's called wet market because most fishes are openly displayed, cut and cleaned there. The meat are also cut according to customers' preference. The vegetables displayed and sold are fresh and water are sprinkled on them to keep them fresh and usually the floor of wet market are wet.

      Delete
  10. Fern spikes and clams are very good. reminds me of the wet market in my homecountry the Philippines. I am.missing much the vegetables we have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, over here we are fortunate to enjoy a wide varieties of green leafy vegetables and many others.

      Delete
  11. What a great market, it must be a wonderful to stroll around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not mind the surrounding and I really enjoy strolling in the wet market.

      Delete
  12. This is an amazing market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our local wet markets are very interesting places, that is, if we do not mind the surrounding.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post! Thank you for noticing the cleaners - that was the business my father was in. I grew up cleaning!

    ( '>
    /))
    //""

    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the times we tend the forget the most important people behind the scene cleaning and giving us clean toilets to use. Their job is not noticeable to the public but it is a very important job.

      Delete
  14. Lovely local colors. When I travel I always go to the market place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the place where we get to know the culture, life of the local especially what they eat and also their culture.

      Delete
  15. Thank you, De. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your vegetables stalls are different from Polish ones but interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the things sold here are also different from Poland.

      Delete
  17. Ah the daily events captured well. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A market! And everything looks so fresh and tempting! Lots of motorcycles there, too. the bikers must know the best places to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most men and women will ride the motorcycles to market because of easy parking.

      Delete
  19. Looks so interesting and now I'm hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy! the clams looks delicious...I love clams! I would love marketing here...true the things sold most of it cant find in the market I go to :) this Jelapang market I would love to go one day if I am around the area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do drop by if you do happen to be around that area. I am sure you will love this place.

      Delete
  21. What a great marketplace! Our local farmer's market season begins in a few weeks and I am ready for it. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your local farmer's market will be very interesting too!

      Delete
  22. Nancy, I enjoy going to the wet market because there are so many things to see! Some vegetables sold there are not available at the supermarkets. But it's a lot more convenient for me to go to the supermarket, hence I have abandoned the wet market :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vegetable fern spikes are one of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by!


    X
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.com/2015/05/persuasion.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a display of photos. I miss the baku fern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Replies
    1. This market is in Jelapang village, near to Ipoh in the state of Perak.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...