Monday 30 August 2021

Enjoy Mooncakes While They Are Freshly Baked

We thought there will be no morning walk when we woke up because it was raining. Surprisingly, it stopped a short while later. When we started out, the ground was still wet and the air fresh and cool. Today, I am combining 2 days posting into 1 post.

Day #1

The top of Kledang Hill was shrouded in mist - 7:30am.
Morning sky with dark cloud looming over us - 7:40am
A lone bird perched on the power cable.
Home cooked instant noodle with steamed pork rib with preserved black bean, leftover from the previous day's dinner.
I prefer to add some dried shrimp chili to my plate of noodle.
We stopped at a roadside stall selling biscuits, cakes and unbranded mooncakes. The mooncake festival is about 4 weeks away but mooncakes are already on sale. I have not bought mooncakes for many years, whatever we had were gifts from friends and neighbour. I couldn't resist because the mooncakes were freshly baked. I ended up buying 2 different types of mooncakes to taste.  
This is 5 mixed nuts mooncake which is my favourite.
Love this 5 nuts mooncake but now I have to take a long time to chew on the nuts because my gum is not as strong as before. It is fresh, tastes good, less oily and not very sweet.
This is white lotus paste with single salted egg yolk mooncake.
This is hubby's favourite. I took a piece (cut into 8 pieces) to taste.
This is also fresh, tastes good, less oily and not very sweet.
~~~~~
Simple home cooked dinner.
Just 1 dish (sambal stinky bean with minced pork and dried shrimp) dinner. This dish is best eaten with white rice. 
My neighbour doesn't eat stinky beans so I kept this extra portion in the fridge for another day's dinner.

Day #2
A cool morning after a whole night's rain.
Mist or low cloud surrounding the hill.
Received 2 big steamed buns (tai pau) from our neighbour.
1 for hubby and 1 for me.
Steamed big bun filled and packed with delicious ingredients.
Since we like and enjoyed the mooncakes, I went back to the same stall to buy 4 more mooncakes:
2 white lotus paste with single salted egg yolk (RM6.80 each),
1 with 5 mixed nuts (RM7.80 each)
and 1 with 5 mixed nuts with Chinese ham (RM8.40).
No more buying of mooncakes, enough for this year.
The cook was in lazy mode, so we went out to buy dinner.
We bought fried noodle (Mamak mee goreng), 2 pieces fried chicken and some potato fries.
Since the vaccination program started, coconut water has been a hot selling item. There are about 5 stalls selling coconut water and they are enjoying roaring business. People has been queuing up to buy coconut water. It is believed that drinking coconut water helps to reduce side effects of vaccine such as fever and etc.

If you love someone,
you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost.
You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him,
and always stand your ground in defending him.
(1 Corinthians 13:7, The Living Bible-TLB)

56 comments:

  1. I haven't heard this about coconut water. The moon cakes and steamed buns are too pretty to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...the mooncakes are so cheap! over here in supermarkets it is usually around RM18++ per piece (lotus paste with yolk). I'm still waiting for discount....
    I miss mee goreng mamak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have enough of mooncakes for this year, need to watch our sugar intake.

      Delete
  3. I may just buy some home made mooncakes and one four yolks mooncake. Your mooncakes must be really tasty that you went back to buy more. Good that your neighbours told you beforehand that they don't eat petai so you know not to give them any. Did you ask them or they volunteer that information to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be buying mooncakes after this because we also received homemade mooncakes from our friends.

      Delete
  4. I have not bought any mooncakes as yet. Maybe next week I will get the one with nuts as I enjoy that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the nuts very much. Munching on this is better than munching on kacang putih.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos and delicious food. Those mooncakes are so beautifully made, glad you enjoyed them. Have a great week, take care, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had any mooncake in years...these look really festive and delicious. Love that steamed bun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the mooncakes with nuts filling, very addictive.

      Delete
  7. The mooncakes look delicious, I have never come across them before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought our Foochow Mooncake Festival biscuits (with lard), RM6.00 last year...this year, RM6.50. I don't think I will buy any mooncakes this year as I am on a low sugar diet. I do enjoy the traditional ones, lotus paste with one egg yolk though. Sighhh!!! So sad, have to deprive myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can eat moderately. That is why I choose the ones that are not so sweet and oily.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful meals and the cake too. Am very sure the coconut water is very good in food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...fresh is always better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely morning. Beautiful moon cakes. Love petai and looks good with sambal there. Coconut water are in demands. Love the freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those big steamed buns (tai pau) sure look tasty and the mooncakes look very special Nancy.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sis drank coconut juice on days pre, actual and post of her vaccination jabs. Wow that bao is huge, must be very filling to finish the whole bao.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mooncakes look beautiful and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I like nuts, I would prefer the nutty mooncake, too. Wish I could have a piece right now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you have tasted it, you will love it. Very addictive.

      Delete
  16. Yummy on all the food and I want some of those moon cakes. They look so tasty.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. The moon cakes particularly look delicious!

    You are making me want to stock up on coconut water too, haha! I have my second does of the vaccine in a few weeks and I felt very sore after the first, ha! I need some coconut water I think for the next dose!

    Hope your week is off to a good start :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to drink coconut water before and after jab.

      Delete
  18. I have never tried a mooncake but those look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do live in a very nice area.

    Mooncakes sound delightful, i hope to try one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ricos pasteles, me dejaste con ganas te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first pic makes me feel awesome! Wonderful mooncakes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm wondering these mooncake :) thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard of mooncakes but never tried one, not a thing here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mooncakes are usually very sweet, so we are limiting our intake of mooncakes.

      Delete
  24. Heh good and cheap mooncakes. This year mooncakes seem to have started being sold later than usual. Or perhaps I didn't notice since haven't been out much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of buying mooncakes this year but since I pass by this stall quite often, I couldn't resist buying some to try.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...