Sunday 22 March 2015

Growing Broadleaf Lady Palm Or Fan Palm In My Garden

My Broadleaf Lady Palm or Fan Palm has been with me for about 18 years. When I first received this baby palm, it was only about 15 cm (6 inches) tall. It was so precious to me that I placed it under my porch, away from direct sunlight. I took good care of it but it seemed to hardly grow even though it stayed healthy and green. At that time, I did not know that it was slow growing palm.
Broadleaf Lady Palm and Fan Palm are its common names. Its scientific name is Rhapis Excelsa. Fan Palm grows well in moist soil with good drainage. Poor drainage will cause browning or spotting on young tender leaves and if the soil is left as it is, it will cause root rot.
Fan Palm are easy to grow. It grows well when placed in semi-shady places, away from direct sun. It can be grown in the ground as a landscape plant or as indoor plant in homes, offices and malls. It can adapt well both outdoor or indoor. As indoor plant, the plant will grow slower. It does not need much fertilizer.
The leaf of Broadleaf Lady Palm are like "fingers" spread out. The end of leaf are like jagged edge of a saw.

The lower part of the palm is covered by coarse brown fiber.

Propagation of Fan Palm is through suckers. Suckers are not easy to remove or cut. I did remove a sucker once when I re-potted the whole plant into a bigger pot. After getting the whole plant out of the previous pot, I slowly remove the soil around the suckers and using a sharp knife to cut it off from the connecting root.
The leaves of Fan Palm can be used for flower arrangement.

The new leaf grows up like a spear from the centre of the plant and it will slowly spread out like a fan.

This is the upside of a Fan Palm leaf. This leaf has 9 "fingers". Some has 13 to 15 "fingers" or more.
This is the underside of the leaf.

So far, caterpillars is the only problem for my Fan Palm.

These caterpillars eat the leaves and use part of the leaves to wrap and to nest in. Sometimes there will be very tiny black droppings of the caterpillar on the floor too.
This is the caterpillar enclosed inside the curled up part of the leaf. Usually if I see tiny black dropping on the floor tiles, I will look out for the curled up leaves and cut off and throw away the part with the caterpillar.
I will cut off the horns of all the wicked,
but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.
(Psalm 75:10, New International Version-NIV)

25 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful plant, would make a wonderful backdrop for a floral arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for visiting and your comments. Happy Sunday to you.

      Delete
  2. glad it does so well for you. i see them as office plants, only here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do well as office plants over here too.

      Delete
  3. Your palm is so nice and green. You really keep it well for 18 years. My spouse likes Raphis and he bought one and put it under our porch. I hope we can keep it well for 18 years too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your plant will do well for many, many years. It will be worth the money.

      Delete
  4. How beautiful and fascinating, Nancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information and photos of your Fan Palm. It looks green and healthy. It looks so beautiful and green. I love the patterns on your tile floor.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to you too, Julia. Thanks for visiting and your comments.

      Delete
  6. My dear friend in Poland we grow palms at home..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gosia, the palms will purify the air in the homes.

      Delete
  7. What a perfect bible verse for this post! You can make ANYTHING grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents has a palm just like that in their garden, it is a beautiful plant.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia, it is indeed a beautiful plant.

      Delete
  9. This is another pretty palm. I always see the leaves being used in flower arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves are pretty and lasting, very suitable for flower arrangements.

      Delete
  10. I go Ipoh, lend me see your plant, kaka...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mum has few of these potted plants at home. It does look like a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing plant !!! We can't have one like it here it's too cold !!!! Thanks for your visit .... have a wonderful wednesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geraldine, appreciate your visit. God bless you.

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Samia. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...