Monday 23 March 2015

Growing Grape Tomato Plant In My Garden

Since my little tomatoes looked like grapes, I will call them grape tomatoes. I like fresh grape tomatoes more than cherry tomatoes. The flesh of grape tomatoes are thicker than cherry tomatoes and they are sweeter too. I will wash the grape tomatoes and pop them into my mouth and eat them raw.

I collected some seeds from a fully ripe and red grape tomato and kept the seeds in a small container and let it on the counter in the kitchen. I almost forgot about the seeds and it was a few days later, I took the seeds out and tried to germinate them in little containers.
One morning I went to check on the baby plants and small pots waiting for variety of seeds to germinate. Some of the pots were not labelled and I cannot remember what seeds were in them. I noticed one pot with a baby plant that looked like a tomato plant. It looked like only one seed germinated successfully while the others failed. I left it there and waited until it was bigger and stronger before I transplanted it to a bigger pot.
This plant was not labelled, so I do not know what kind of tomato plant it was.

My tomato plant grew tall and spindly. Someone commented that it was too skinny to bear fruit but I refused to give up on it. Looking back, I should have fed it with more fertilizer. One lesson learnt - tomato plants need regular feeding of fertilizer.
I was not prepared for this tomato plant to grow so tall, I used whatever temporary support I could get to support it and finally, I have to use a raffia string to prevent it from bending over. Every time I looked at this plant, it reminded me of "the giant and the beanstalk" story.
One fine morning, I saw the first fruit on my tomato plant besides the yellow flowers. I am glad I did not give up on this plant.

My tomato plant has fine prickly hairs on its stem. My friend Patricia shared her experience with me that she accidentally broke her cherry tomato stem. She took the stem and stuck it into the same pot and it grew!

I was overjoyed to see more fruits coming forth.

There were about 4 to 6 fruits on each stem.

Caution: Tomato plants including the leaves, stems and unripe (green) fruits contain small amount of toxic.

This was the first fruit. I waited for it to be red and full ripe before I plucked it. It will taste sweeter when it is fully ripe.
When I plucked these 2 fruits, I couldn't wait to taste them. I washed them under running tap water.

I then cut one tomato into half to see the thick flesh and took a picture of it. It was very juicy and sweet.

Tomato plant grows well in moist, fertile garden soil with good drainage. It likes the sun and plenty of water. Tomato plant also like regular fertilizer.

Ripe tomatoes are used in salads, juices and cocktails. They are also made into tomato ketchup, tomato soup, tomato sauce and paste especially in pizzas. Tomatoes are commonly used as cooking ingredients world wide.

With the experience & lessons I have learnt in growing this grape tomato plant, I am looking forward to grow more of these plants. To be able to eat my own freshly plucked tomatoes straight from my garden, and to taste the extra sweetness is worth the effort and the time spent in my garden.

Eat honey, my son, for it is good;
honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul;
if you find it, there is a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.
(Proverbs 24:13-14, New International Version-NIV)

41 comments:

  1. Impressive looking tomatoes, we have had some success with several varieties of tomato including a variety we grew in hanging baskets which were small but very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of growing the variety of tomato in hanging baskets....I think it will be very pretty with the small tomatoes hanging down. I don't know whether we have it here or not.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Nancy! Your tomato plant is doing so well. Mine did bear some fruits but nothing much to shout about. OK, will bear in mind that they need lots of fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha..they also need the sun and plenty of water leh...

      Delete
  3. From seed to fruit. Amazing. God's hand in creation is evidenced by this everyday miracle. I love it. Nothing tastes so good as a home grown tomato!! Good job. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanna. Everyday I see God's hand at work in my garden. Bless you too.

      Delete
  4. Patience brings forth fruits! Very good sowing and reaping, Nancy! This is pure joy in the garden.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is pure joy to watch the hand of God at work in the garden.

      Delete
  5. so glad it bore fruit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have both kinds in the stores here. I did not know you could use them in all these recipes, I only have thought in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use them to make soup, to cook sweet sour dishes, etc.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, Nancy! I love garden tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fantastic and heathy . What about sending one of them to Poland..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know when I was a kid I used to eat tomatoes after school. I know it's a weird snacks but I liked it. I wish I still do though. I think I've outgrown it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did that too until I chomp on one not so ripe and got sick...aft that I stopped.

      Delete
  10. Good that you believe in it and persevere until it gives you so many sweet tomatoes. If I go to a garden center to buy soil to plant this tomato, what sort of soil should I buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually mix 1 pkt ready-mixed one with 1 pkt black soil (about 1:1 ratio). Most important it must be moist & not water-logged.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your advice!

      Delete
    3. Mun, you are most welcome.

      Delete
  11. Hi Nancy,

    I'm totally impressed with your tomatoes plant. I thought it is actually nice that you didn't label it and it turned out to be such a beautiful surprise :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a total surprise to find the plant so tall too.

      Delete
  12. Yours are so nice. Mine...sobs .....gotta cry liao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't cry dear, never mind, can try again...I am trying another plant.

      Delete
  13. Those tomatoes look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo beautiful! I never knew can plant this yourself AND have it produce fruit. Now I plan to try too hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can grow them yourself and enjoy the fruits.

      Delete
  15. You are so blessed ! I wish I could sow and reap these cities ;) you inspired to start planting these in my small space ... haha have to plant on my flat roof ;p

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so blessed ! I wish I could sow and reap these cities ;) you inspired to start planting these in my small space ... haha have to plant on my flat roof ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need flat roof, just one pot will do.....lol.

      Delete
  17. I love tomato cherries. Sound easy to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is great to encourage people to grow their own veggies, they taste so much more!
    These tomatoes are mouth watering!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka, yes, they are juicy and sweet too.

      Delete
  19. Attractive tomatoes.. first time seeing such a tall tomato plant. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...