Wednesday 25 March 2015

Growing Red And Green Chinese Evergreen Plant In My Garden

When I first started my garden, most of my plants were green and non-flowering types. I find non-flowering plants easier to take care and maintain than flowering plants. I also find them very pleasing to the eyes. At that time, my hubby was not interested in plants and gardening and will have nothing to do with them.

Later, when he started to show interest in gardening and learned to appreciate plants, he complained that there is too much green and the garden needed more colour. He went to the nursery and bought some plants with colourful leaves. One of them is this Red and Green Chinese Evergreen plant. Its scientific name is Aglaonema.
Our first plant was then about 8 inches tall.

Now there are 4 pots of Red and Green Chinese Evergreen contributing their bright colours to my garden. And I have propagated a few baby plants for our friends.
This plant grows well in warm climate. It needs moist garden soil with good drainage. I feed them fertilizer about once in every 3 to 4 weeks, sometimes longer.

I remembered the time when my hubby accidentally broke off a stem. At that time the first plant had only 2 stems.

I did not have the heart to throw the stem. I told hubby I will keep it in water and see if it could be saved.

I could not remember how long it was kept in water, but everyday when I changed the water, I would check on it. One day I saw new roots growing out from the stem. So it was by this incident that we found out that it can be propagated through stem cuttings.

I have noticed that the common pest is the mealy bugs, which is white and powdery type. If I noticed it earlier, I will hose it down to rid the plants of the white, powdery thing. But if it is too serious, I will have to cut off the whole stem and threw it away. If possible, I try not to used pesticide but there were times I had no choice but to use it. There was once when I have to cut off all the stems from the same pot. Few weeks later, new shoots started growing from the remaining stumps of the stems.
When it is placed in a shady place, the green will be in a darker shade and the red lighter.

When exposed to more sunlight, the green will be in lighter shade and red brighter.

Caution: Chinese Evergreen plants are toxic when ingested by pets or children, so it is wise to keep them out of reach. It is better to take precaution by teaching children not to put any parts of any plants in their mouth.

They make many promises, take false oaths and make agreements;
therefore lawsuits spring up like poisonous weeds in a ploughed field.
(Hosea 10:4, New International Version-NIV)

28 comments:

  1. This plant is really colourful. Thanks for the info that it can be propagated through its stem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing! It looks like someone painted it. Now I will have to look for them, I have never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a summer house and a small garden but your plants are great and different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy!

    Thanks for your comment and visit on my blog, I replied on there! :)

    These plants look so lovely, I love variegated leaves as much as variegated yarns!!!

    Have a nice week!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid, for dropping by and also for your comments.

      Delete
  5. Oh. I did not know this plant is toxic if consumed.

    I also into green leafy plants. No flowering plants at all in my garden. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, actually leafy plants easier to take care.

      Delete
  6. Nancy, I have never seen this vibrant and colourful plant. It is really beautiful and just looking at it can cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, thanks. Then it will be great to plant one in your garden.

      Delete
  7. Pretty! I haven't noticed this plant before. Yeah really hate mealy bugs - at one stage I was squeezing them coz so geram! Now I don't spend so much time in the garden and some plants get infested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the mealy bugs can be very damaging to our plants.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful and colorful plant. Hope this plant added more beauty to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priya, nice to hear from you. Yes, this plant really helps.

      Delete
  9. Has it flowered for you? I got one and it has started thank you for posting these pics! I didn't know what I had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has flowered a few times. The flowers paled in comparison to the colourful leaves.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing it is a Very Informative page, I hope it will be useful for all of us. , Here you’ll find all the necessary points step by step for lipstick plant care worth increasing the grace of your home.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...