Tuesday 31 March 2015

Our Dinner From Night Market (Pasar Malam), First Garden (Taman Pertama), Ipoh

During my working days, Friday was the day I did my marketing for fresh fruits and vegetables from the night market in First Garden. The night market comes to First Garden every Friday. Many claimed that First Garden enjoys one of the biggest night market in Ipoh.

When the weather is not too hot, we enjoy strolling and looking at all the interesting items on display in the night market. Some of the items found in the night market cannot be found in the normal shops or the supermarkets. Even some of the food items can only be found in the night markets and not else where.

To be able to enjoy the night market, you must have the time and not be in a hurry. The passage for walking is narrow and the people in front may be walking quite slowly, looking or even stopping to have a closer look at the items or buying them. And if you are following behind, you will also have to stop or squeeze your way to go through and continue your walk.

Once in a while, we would buy some of the food from the night market for our dinner. My favourite food from the night market is popiah (Chinese spring rolls). There are many popiah stalls but I only like the popiah from one particular stall. We have been buying popiah from this stall for many years.
This is the popiah uncle. The business is very good and from the start to the end, there will always be a crowd around the stall. This uncle now plays a less active role, he only collects the money, the son and daughter prepare the popiah.
This is also another one of my favourite stall. This stall sells char kueh, which is fried rice cake with multiple ingredients. He will be frying non-stop and sometimes he has a male or a female assistance to help him when he gets tired.
This looked like a van selling some kind of accessories. He just park the van, open up the sides and back and he is ready for business. Very convenient for him.

Very colourful slippers, sandals and shoes for sale.

This is part of a fruits stall selling all kinds of fruits and mangoes.

Either this young man is just curious or he is not happy with me aiming my camera in his direction.

The crowd is growing.

Popcorn and pancake stall.

Some kind of fried sausages.

Lekur (fish crackers) stall.

This is the luk-luk or dip-dip (cook in boiling water) stall. There are many varieties to choose from, just dip the skewers with the ingredients into boiling water to cook and then dip them into the spicy peanut sauce or chili sauce before eating them.
I find this stall very interesting, full of so many varieties of fried goodies. All types of fried sausages, nuggets, fish balls and fish cakes, etc.

More varieties on skewers.

Fried chicken, crabs, potato wedges, etc. We have not tried all these fried things yet but one day I might be tempted to try the fried crabs. Maybe....
For this particular evening, we decided to give this laksa stall a try.

We ordered a bowl of laksa to share. It is quite tasty.

We came to this BBQ chicken wings & drumstick stall. Bought 2 chicken drumsticks.

Dinner for two - 2 chicken drumsticks and a bowl of laksa.

Yet He has not left Himself without testimony:
He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven
and crops in their seasons; He provides you
with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.
(Acts 14:17, New International Version-NIV)

33 comments:

  1. I love to walk around the night markets. I would buy fresh fruits, veggies and sometimes potted plants but I try to refrain myself from buying the fried food. I love char kueh too. The salty type; not sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too do not buy fried food, but that fried crab is really tempting....yes, I too love the salty char kueh.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Many more things to see but I only pick a few picture to post.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful! I would love to walk around and look at everything and of course taste new things. What a great place.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a great place with many, many interesting things to see.

      Delete
  4. looks like a neat market with lots of things to tempt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we used to buy more than what we can eat and things that we don't really need.

      Delete
  5. This is awesome, I wish we had one. All our markets are in the day. So people who work cannot go to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here, we do have morning market but it is the night market that is more popular.

      Delete
  6. You are very patient to take so many photos of the night market to share with us here. Thank you! It has been a long time since I last went ot a night market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I too plenty more, but not able to post all of them...lol

      Delete
  7. It looks difffernt from Poland but nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how Poland's night market looks like....

      Delete
    2. my dear friend we don't have night markets

      Delete
  8. It is nice to go to the pasar malam and look at the many varieties of goods sold especially the food. I haven't been to one for quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I go once in a while, depending on the weather also.

      Delete
  9. What lovely pics! It looks like you had a splendid evening out! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, thank you for dropping by. Its quite fun at the night market.

      Delete
  10. Interesting place, would loves to visit the place...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to jalan in pasar malam too . end up buy a lot of munchies haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes, I did same thing too. Ended up with too much.

      Delete
  12. wahhhh...very sedap leh!! Your garden there has the most vendors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I didn't take pictures of every one of them, too many!

      Delete
  13. May I have the address to go to this night market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This night market is in First Garden or Taman Pertama which is off Jalan Silibin, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia. This night market is available on Friday only (once a week). I hope the direction given is of help to you. Have a good day!

      Delete
  14. Hi Nancy, thanks for sharing this lovely night market. I'll be going to Ipoh soon. How do I get there from French Hotel pls? Is it in walking distance or do I need to take cab there? Is there any public bus that goes there please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mavis, it is too far and not safe to walk from French Hotel. This night market is only open on Friday evening. The easiest way is to get a cab from French Hotel to take you there and get the cab to come back for you to return to French Hotel at an appointed time. It is better to be safe or you may end up not having transport back to town. I can't advice you about the public transport here because I have not used it for a long time. I hope my information is helpful to you. Enjoy your visit.

      Delete
  15. Hi Nancy, thanks for the pictures. We will be visiting Ipoh very soon.
    The last time we visited First garden was 5 years ago and we love the
    food there as well as the food in Sarawak where I was born, but now I live in NZ. We will be staying in Taman Silibin for two weeks. I like the quote at the end of the pictures. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter for your visit and nice comments. Wishing you a wonderful and enjoyable stay in Ipoh. Ipoh welcomes you!

      Delete
  16. hi Nancy

    Can i ask you regarding the Ipoh Garden Popiah @ First Garden Night Market or First garden pasar malam is it the same pasar malam ???

    i would like to ask what is the operating hour and date.

    As i check online is stated open everyday for the First garden pasar malam

    Many thanks
    Rgds
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if it is the same one. The First Gdn one is open every Friday at the night market (pasar malam) and on Wednesday night in front of the row of shop houses near the hawker center.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...