Friday 27 March 2015

Growing Japanese Bamboo Plants (Dracaena Surculosa) In My Garden

Some common names of Japanese Bamboo are Gold Dust Dracaena, Gold Dust Dracaena, Spotted-Leaf Dracaena and etc. Its scientific name is Dracaena Surculosa.

There are 3 types of Japanese Bamboo Plants in my garden.
Type A is the dark green leaves with yellow to white spots.

Type B is the light green leaves with yellow to white spots.

And type C is the dark green leaves with light green or very light yellow spots.

These are evergreen shrubs. These plants are common plants and are found in most homes and offices.

They are easy to grow and easy to maintain. These plants do not need to be fertilized regularly.

It can be grown as an ornamental plant or as a garden plant. It grows well both indoor and outdoor. It can also be grown in small pots for decoration placed on table tops, etc.
It is propagated through stem cuttings.
Plant the stem cuttings in soil in a small pot and place the pot away from direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist and very soon sign of new growth will come forth from the stems.
Another way is to stand the stem cuttings in water until the stems grow roots before planting them in garden soil.
Stem cuttings with leaves can also serve as decorative plants placed in water in glass containers or any decorative containers. When place in water, the growth will be slow but the water has to be changed daily to avoid mosquitoes breeding in the water.
Japanese Bamboo is a hardy plant and it grows well in warm climate. If grown as indoor plant, place it where there is light.

It can grow very tall and to control the height and the shape, some pruning is necessary. New shoots will grow from the root.
If existing stem is not cut off from the base, new stem will grow from the stump left behind.
It is named Gold Dust Dracaena because of the gold spots found on the leaves.

If the plants are placed in very shady places, the gold spots will be in lighter shade.

To keep indoor plants fresh and glossy, take the plants out and spray them with water to wash away the dust from the leaves.
These plants seldom flower but when they do flower, the flowers are very small and light beige to white in colour.
Sometimes the flowers will form green berries and berries will be red when ripe.

If you stay away from sin you will be like one of these dishes
made of purest gold - the very best in the house -
so that Christ Himself can use you for His highest purposes.
(2 Timothy 2:21, The Living Bible-TLB)

33 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Nancy. I love all the different shades of green and pretty patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, they are common, yet beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Sharon Lim was telling me the other day that you have a very nice garden... yes, I agree with her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire & Sharon, actually its a very small & simple garden.

      Delete
  3. Wink wink, i want to see your plants, keke...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, you are always welcome to my simple garden.

      Delete
  4. the variegated leaves are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have some of these greens in our garden too when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, most of our homes have this...very common & familiar plant.

      Delete
  6. There are a lot of these here, and I used to have one as a house plant. It never did get flowers though.And you are right. More white as it gets more sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of the many years I have these plants, I only saw them flower 3 times.

      Delete
  7. All these plants we grow at home..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, I have type A and type C. I love the flowers as I think they are very pretty. Mine hasn't flowered as yet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like the flowers even though they are small. My type C recently gave me 3 little flowers but no berry.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing how to propagate this plant. I did not know that they are called Japanese Bamboo because they do not look like bamboo to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mum has had type B like forever. So I've seen enough of this plant not to want to plant it myself hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mine too have been with me for a long time and we tend to take them for granted.

      Delete
    2. I wish I could have some. I really love this plant but I can find nowhere to get some here in Los Angeles. Is it possible to buy some from you?

      Edgar

      Delete
    3. So sorry, dear. I am staying too far away to be able to help you.

      Delete
  11. Nancy! Thank you so much for this post! It helped me identify my favorite plant in a mixed arrangement I received a year ago! Google kept telling me dumb came, begonias, and polka dot plants instead

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, So I got one of these in a flower arrangement in 2000 when my mom passed away, had it for a while, and it didn't grow much, a cat got into it and peed in it, which, I thought at the time killed it, this had to be around 2009-2010. I got lazy and just left the pot alone. But in 2012 my father passed away and I got a peace lily and set it next to the Gold Dust Dracaena, and not long after that in started growing again. Now it is the year 2020 and it has grown to be about 6 feet in height. it blooms twice a year and it produced an orange pod in early 2019, and it is still on there, I just noticed about a month ago 2 more pods. Would you happen to know anything about these orange pods? Are they seed pods or something else? My name is Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried growing from seeds from the seed pods. I've always propagated from cuttings.

      Delete
  13. Can this plant do well in a dry desert climate? I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Summers are hot and winters are very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this plant will survive as a house plant. You can keep it away from direct sunlight and keep the soil well watered.

      Delete
  14. My Japanese bamboo has fruit. What can be done to the fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Primrose, I haven't tried but maybe you can try using the seeds (if you can find any from the fruit) to propagate and see if it is possible.

      Delete
  15. I have this plant in my garden, but I didn't know it was Japanese bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Japanese bamboo plants. Are you selling those? How can I order?

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...