Friday 20 March 2015

How I Started My Own Mini Herb Garden

Herb gardening is something I have always wanted to do after acquiring some herb plants from my friend. She introduced me to rosemary, thyme, basil and how the use of these herbs add to the flavour of the food.

Herbs are known to be hardy plants. I thought they just need sufficient sun, water and some fertilizer to make them grow well. Initially, I was overjoyed to see my herbs growing well and healthy. But after a few months, my joy was short-lived. My healthy herbs became unhealthy herbs and I was very disappointed. I decided to do some internet research.
That was when I came across Jeannie Woods' book called "Healthy Happy Herbs: A Beginner's Guide To Herbs And Herb Gardening". I was pleased to find that the book was easy to follow, even for someone like me who only have very basic gardening background. Not only that, it extensively covered all the relevant points that I need to understand to be able to make competent choices - from seed selection, to soil preparation, to harvesting and much more. It even covers composting and ways to care for your plants organically and economically at the same time.

I have been following the book's advice for some time now in starting my basil herb garden. While it's still early to say if my plants are going to make it, I have a pretty good feeling that they will. One thing I have learnt from this book which really helps me a lot in my gardening is how to keep pests and plant illnesses away, the organic way.

So, if you are thinking of cultivating your own herb garden, be sure to check out Jeannie Woods' "Healthy Happy Herbs: A Beginner's Guide to Herbs And Herb Gardening". Happy Herb Gardening!

Once he has prepared the soil,
he sows the seeds of herbs such as dill and cumin.
He sows rows of wheat and barley,
and at the edges of his fields he sows other grain.
He knows how to do his work, because God has taught him.
(Isaiah 28:25-26, Good News Bible-GNB)

13 comments:

  1. There's nothing as good as a herb garden. They look good, smell good, are good for cooking and medicinal use too......can't go wrong really. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope it does well for you! i've never grown herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope so...keeping a close watch over them.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the recommendation. Will show this post to my friend who is interested to grow her own herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I love the smell, but my hubby doesn't like it.

      Delete
  5. This is awesome, Nancy! I really appreciate your sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I had the same idea as you but my herb garden hasn't taken shape yet. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, now I am hoping to see some good results.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...