Wednesday 13 May 2020

Fish Noodles, Porridge & Homemade Salted Chicken Eggs

We woke up early in the morning to hear the drizzling rain outside. The heavy downpour the previous evening had continued until the next morning. It finally stopped at about 6:30 am. 
Morning sky after the drizzling rain at 7:13 am.
~~~~~
Breakfast
We found out that our regular fish noodle stall is opened for business.
Hubby went out to buy 1 pax of fish noodle @ RM 8.50 and a few pieces of stuffed bean curd sheet. From the container, I transferred the fish noodles into 2 bowls. There were altogether 7 pieces of thick fish slices, 1 piece fish cake and lots of veggie (Chinese cabbage) and generous amount of Shaoxing wine in the soup.
~~~~~
We went to the supermarket to buy some fresh green vegetables and mangoes. Returned home to boil rice porridge.
We had papaya while waiting for the porridge to cook.
Plain rice porridge with Hakka braised pork belly with wood fungus and pickled lettuce.
Hakka braised pork belly with wood fungus.
Reheated the 2nd portion that was kept in the fridge.
I opened a can of pickled lettuce (Narcissus brand).
~~~~~
My mom used to make salted duck eggs. The duck eggs were from the ducks she reared behind the house. I don't have duck eggs, so I am using chicken eggs to make salted eggs.
I washed and dried 18 chicken eggs.
Meanwhile I boiled 1.5 cups of coarse salt, star anise, peppercorns with 6 cups of water until salt dissolved and let it cool completely. Some recipes use Shaoxing wine so I also add in some.
I arranged the eggs in a glass container and pour the cooled salt water over the eggs. The eggs are not fully submerged in water. The glass container's mouth is too small for me to place something to hold the eggs down, so I will have to occasionally push the eggs into the salt water. After 30 days, I will take out 1 egg to see how it turns out.
~~~~~
Dinner
Simple dinner with 2nd portion of fish curry and leftover braised pork belly.
Delicious fish curry with assorted vegetables.
Sunset Bells from my garden.


He formed the mountains by his mighty strength.
He quiets the raging oceans and all the world's clamor.
In the farthest corners of the earth
the glorious acts of God shall startle everyone.
The dawn and sunset shout for joy!
(Psalm 65:6-8, The Living Bible-TLB)

45 comments:

  1. Wow how many types of flower do you have in your garden? I prefer to eat braised pork belly with white porridge too. And that fish curry looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No many. I have reduced the flowering plants in my garden. Concentrating more on edibles.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is how you make salted eggs, thanks for sharing i learn something everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to make salted egg with just salt and water but now I try to follow others and add star anise and shaoxing wine. See how they will turn out and the difference.

      Delete
  3. i love that you take pictures of the sky because i do that, too. and also, thank you for the comment you left. it was meaningful to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers are pretty and cheerful looking.
    My Wordless Wednesday is here:
    https://allatseawithme.blogspot.com/2020/05/wordless-wednesday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Tasty meals! I am very excited to see the salted chicken eggs after 30 days, can't wait. Were both the curry dish and pork belly dish finished for dinner? So yummy, can eat many bowls of rice especially the curry gravy and braised pork belly gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will update on the salted eggs after 30 days. We couldn't finish the fish curry, kept the leftover for next day's lunch. Love to dip bread in curry gravy.

      Delete
  6. Cool photos and lovely flowers )))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forwards to seeing how your salted chicken eggs turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Güzel çiçekler

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...salted eggs is a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting about the eggs...will be watching to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many things can be done with the salted eggs.

      Delete
  11. Oh the food. I had a bite of each dish. Delicious.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. And that's interesting what u have done with eggs and nice spice with fish curry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I have ever eaten salted duck eggs or salted chicken eggs. Let us know how it tastes later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastes salty, and the egg yolk has a rich taste. The best part is the egg yolk.

      Delete
  14. I need to tell my hubby to make a fish curry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful. I love fish curry.

      Delete
  15. papaya color so appealing...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always have such interesting foods. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margy. It is because we have a rich mixture of food from different cultures.

      Delete
  17. Looking forward to seeing how the eggs turn out. The belly pork looked so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nunca he comido huevos salados. La flor es preciosa. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have such interesting food and pretty scenery!

    Your corner is beautiful this week! Thanks for sharing it at the 'My Corner of the World' link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty for hosting. Have a beautiful day.

      Delete
  20. What a neat recipe! Beautiful flowers and foods.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interested to see how the salted eggs tun out!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...