Tuesday 27 October 2020

Hainanese Chicken Chop & Snacks Shopping

We wanted to eat Chinese rojak but found the shop closed. Before we could decide where to go next, the rain started to pour. Since we were there in front of Restoran Cathay, we ended up having lunch there. This place is known for their Hainanese Chicken Chop. This chicken chop dish consists of a deep fried chicken thigh with crispy batter, swimming in a tasty, ketchup sauce with potatoes, cucumber and tomato slices.

We ordered 2 plates of Hainanese Chicken Chop. Hubby enjoyed the chicken chop with a bowl of rice because he likes the sauce.
~~~~~
The rain stopped just before we finished our lunch.
We stopped in front of a biscuit shop. I went in to buy the above snacks.
Next, we stop at a Baking supplies shop to buy the above items.
I was curious and wanted to taste this Traditional Teochew Vege Mooncake. I bought one piece which costs RM10.00. I quite like the taste of this mooncake because it is savoury and not sweet.
Hubby wanted to try this coconut cookies.
Hubby prefers the above coconut cookies we bought when we were in Malacca.
~~~~~
That evening we had a simple home cooked dinner for 2 people.
Onion omelette.
We had leftover bak kut teh (herbal pork soup) so I cooked some noodle.
Bak kut teh with noodle, a simple yet satisfying dinner.
~~~~~
That morning, on our way home from our morning walk, I noticed this plant, known as Crinum asiaticum variegatum has flowered.
This was planted by the roadside.
A close up of the flowers.
~~~~~
The Yau Tet Shin Bazaar was built in 1961. It was named after a tin-mining tycoon named Yau Tet Shin who contributed to the development of Ipoh New Town.
This was the well-known Yau Tet Shin bazaar (image taken from the internet), which was demolished in 2001 after the Ipoh City Council found it unsafe. 
The Octagon, a 21 storey structure with residential, retail and commercial units was built on this site.


A house is built by wisdom and
becomes strong through good sense.
Through knowledge its rooms are filled
with all sorts of precious riches and valuables.
(Proverbs 24:3-4, New Living Translation-NLT)

46 comments:

  1. Those coconut biscuits look really great! Love your bak kut teh dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious foods 😊 thanks for your sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...it's too bad that the Yau Tet Shin bazaar is now gone. I haven't had my breakfast yet and all of your goodies are making my even more hungry. Thanks for joining the party Nancy, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what will you bake? I am quite curious about the vege mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days I am too lazy to bake anything. First time get to taste the vege mooncake. I quite like it.

      Delete
  5. I'm just eating my breakfast and like something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After something savoury, we like to follow with something sweet.

      Delete
  6. So many goodies and your homemade meal looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Nancy. I'm eating my breakfast of English muffin with peanut butter and apricot jam and coffee. Would you like this?

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I eat bread too. Yes, I would love to eat what you ate for your breakfast.

      Delete
  8. Oh the food. I'm always hungry when I visit you.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lubię kokosowe ciasteczka. Ciekawy jest ten nowy budynek, który powstał na miejscu starego. Miłego dnia:) .

















































































    ReplyDelete
  10. I like moon cake too when it is not too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You! I wish you well, Nancy. Very enjoyable post

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food all looks sp goid...specially that first dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bkt noodles is yummy! Rice is super nice when eaten with the gravy of chicken chop. Is the vege mooncake a vegetarian mooncake? If yes, without lard I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flower of the plant looks like spider lilies. Or did I see wrongly? Cos quite difficult to see exactly how the flowers look like. Or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like a happy accident that you ended up at the restaurant, the meal looks good.

    The flowers are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it all worked out for us to eat at this restaurant.

      Delete
  16. I had tried hainanese chicken chop before but did not really like it as i do not like the tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this because it doesn't have much tomato sauce.

      Delete
  17. Uh oh! Your photos have made me hungry!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/10/beauty-and-beach.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks so delicious and my mouth is watering! Interestingn flower also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tus comidas se ven muy bien. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My last Hainanese chick chop was in Ipoh's Durbar restaurant! Aihh all my good memories pre-Covid.

    Oh well guess with the escalating cost of land these days, they had to maximise and build a multi-story building in place of Yau Tet Shin market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the situation will improve and you can re-visit Ipoh again soon.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...